Human Resources | School of Chemical Sciences | University of Illinois, UC
Offer Letter Basics
- Position Title
- Start date (and end date, if applicable)
- 'On or about Month/Day/Year' can be used for start date
- Appointment will be either open-ended or will have an end date less than one year from the start date
- % FTE (100% if full time, all hourly positions are 0%)
Any academic position should also contain 'subject to approval by the Board of Trustees' and service basis if applicable (12 month, 9 month, 10 month). Provost Communication 2 details information about academic offers: http://www.provost.illinois.edu/communication/02/index.html.
Any visiting position must contain "Please be advised that visiting academic professionals are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois and the Visiting Academic Professionals/AAP-IEA-NEA union. "
If the employee will be working on a visa, health insurance information is helpful to include:
- Your J-l visa requires that you obtain healthcare independent of the University. This healthcare must be in place before starting work in the laboratory. You will be asked to show proof of this healthcare during an appointment with the International office and before your Sevis record will be validated. If you have questions you may contact Ms. Julie Thomas in the SCS Human Resources Office at jathomas [at] illinois [dot] edu or 217-333-7186.
- As an H-l B visa holder you will be eligible for the same fringe benefits as the Faculty and Staff at the University of Illinois at the group rates. You will go through an orientation with the Benefits Center. If you have questions you may contact Ms. Julie Thomas in the SCS Human Resources Office at jathomas [at] illinois [dot] edu or 217-333-7186.
Academic Hourly employees must have a job description including duties and education/experience required for the position. Offer letters are not required for hourly positions. Template for Academic Hourly Job Description (.rtf).
Civil Service: any employment offers for Civil Service will come directly from SHR.