I9 Resources and Requirements
- All new employment requires an I-9 form.
- The employee fills out the I-9 on his or her first day of work. The I-9 is required to be filled out on or before the first day of new work. Time worked prior to the date on the I-9 cannot be compensated, and backdating is not an option.
- Original documents required. Original documents must be presented within 3 days of hire date. Photocopies of I-9 documents can not be accepted. Common examples of I-9 documents include a passport, or a driver’s license and a Social Security Card. A full list of acceptable documents is linked below. Employees must have either a List A document (commonly a Passport or Permanent Resident Card) or must have both a document from List B and one from List C. Originals must be presented in the HR office.
- Documents must not be expired.
- Documents must be presented within three days of start date. By law, new employees have three business days from first work day to complete the acceptable documents portion. If the employee does not bring in the acceptable original documents within those three days, he or she must stop working until compliant.
I-9 Form, acceptable documents on page 9
University E-Verify Information