Instruments and Techniques
PerkinElmer 2400 Series II CHN/O Elemental Analyzer
PerkinElmer 2400 Series II
PerkinElmer 2440 balance
Principles of OperationWe use the PerkinElmer 2400 Series II in 2 modes of operation: CHN, and CHNS. The CHN and CHNS modes are based on the classical Pregl-Dumas method where samples are combusted in a pure oxygen environment, with the resultant combustion gases measured in an automated fashion.
The system is comprised of four major zones: combustion; gas control, separation; and detection. In the combustion zone, samples encapsulated in tin or aluminum vials are inserted automatically from the integral 60-position autosampler or manually using a single-sample auto injector. For CHN and CHNS analysis, the combusted sample then goes through a reduction chamber to a homogenization chamber. The resultant gases are separated using Frontal Chromatography, then elute through a thermal conductivity detector.
- CHN Mode: The CHN mode is the most universal of the analysis modes because of the combination of the reagent design and the Optimize Combustion control parameters. Interfering elements (halogens) are removed.
Data CollectionEA 2400 Data Manager is a SQL-based software package used to collect and store the data retrieved from PerkinElmer 2400 Series II CHNS Elemental Analyzer. Calculations, queries, statistical analysis, etc. may be performed using this software.
- Accuracy: 0.3% abs
- Analysis time: 6 to 8 minutes per sample
- Automatic weight transfer
- Sample size: 1 to 200 mg (see sample preparation page)
- Multiple sample mode: 60 samples
- Sample combustion temperature: ~ 2000° C