The School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) is seeking 1-2 current undergraduate students in Chemistry, CS+Chemistry, and/or Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering for a paid position as an SCS Summer Registration Peer Advisor. The Peer Advisor will work closely with the SCS advising staff to assist with onboarding and registering incoming first year SCS students. This position will be in-person in Champaign-Urbana from Monday, June 6 – Friday, July 8.
The Peer Advisor will have the following RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Helping incoming students navigate Course Explorer, Self-Service, and other registration technology
- Explaining General Education requirements and helping students identify possible courses
- Leading discussions and answering questions about the student experience of SCS majors, campus & community involvement, student life, and the transition to Illinois
- Represent SCS, their department, LAS, and Illinois in a positive manner
The SCS Summer Peer Advisor position will help students develop/improve on the following SKILLS:
- Adaptability, flexibility, and problem-solving
- Verbal communication
- Leading and mentoring peers
- Current Chemistry, CS+Chemistry, or ChBE student
- Effective oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of course registration technology – Course Explorer, Plan Ahead, Self-Service, etc.
- Familiarity and understanding of campus General Education requirements
- Available for all of the following dates and times:
- Training in late May or early June (likely May 31 – June 3)
- Weekdays from June 6 – July 8 ~10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 20 @ 11:59 p.m.: Deadline to submit application
Tuesday, April 26 – Friday, April 29: Interviews with potential candidates
Wednesday, May 4 @ 5 p.m.: Applicants notified of decisions
APPLY ONLINE @ https://go.illinois.edu/SCSPeer22 by Wednesday, April 20 @ 11:59pm
QUESTIONS: Contact Kimberly Powers at firstname.lastname@example.org