The Bruker UltrafleXtreme MALDI^*, Bruker Autoflex MALDI^, Quattro Ultima ESI^, and ZMD ESI^ are available for Open Access after training.
In order to use the Open Access instruments, you must fill out the Authorization Form and your advisor’s signature is required. The form may be filled out electronically except for the signatures, then printed. You can be trained by one of the trained users in your group or Furong Sun if there is no trained user in your research group. After you are trained and the Authorization Form is completed you should schedule an appointment with Furong Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org, 3-2545) for the Check Out. You will also need to register for ChemFOM and request access to the instrument on the day that you are scheduled to check out.
Check Out for the Brukers, ZMD or Quattro Ultima will take about 1-4 hours and you will be charged by the number of hours.
^ You must use the instrument often and have enough samples to analyze after you become a self-service user. We may not run your samples if you are a self-service user or your access to the instrument will be terminated if you prefer to not to run the samples yourself.
* You must purchase a MALDI target and calibration standard if you want to be a self-service service user for the Bruker MALDI instruments.
Guidelines for Using the Bruker MALDI Instrument
Matrix and Additives
- HCCA α-Cyano-4-hydroxy cinnamic acid
- Sinapinic acid
- 2,5-DHB 2,5-Dihydroxy benzoic acid
- 2,5-DHAP 2,5-Dihydroxy actetophenone
- SA Trans-3,5-dimethoxy-4-hydroxy cinnamic acid
- 1,5-DAN 1,5-Diaminonaphthalene
- 3-HPA 3-Hydroxy picolinic acid
- DAC Diammonium hydrogen citrate
- NH4H2PO4 Ammoniumphosphate
- TFA (Trifluoro acetic acid)
- Sinapinic acid
- DCTB (trans-2-[3-(4tert-Butylphenyl)-2-propenylidene]malononitrile
You will need to consult with the Furong Sun if you want use a matrix that is not in the list.
- Use volatile solvents for matrix and samples.
- Spots must be dry and must have enough matrix to form good crystals.
- Don’t use carbon nanotubes as matrix since it causes instrument malfunction that will not be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Samples must be suitable for MALDI analysis and should not cause any contamination and malfunction for the instrument. For example, the conductive polymers may not be suitable for MALDI.
- You must consult Furong Sun if you are not sure if the samples are suitable for mass spectrometry analysis.
- You must get Furong Sun's approval if you want to analyze MALDI samples on a glass chip or need a special adaptor for the MALDI target frame. This can only be done during the day while Furong Sun is present.