The School of Chemical Sciences is proud to announce the 2019 SCS Science Image Challenge. We invite SCS graduate and undergraduate students, postdoctoral associates/fellows, and staff members, excluding Faculty members, to participate by submitting a computer-assisted or traditional scientific image designed to inform, educate and inspire. The entrant’s Principal Investigator must be a faculty member or an affiliate/adjunct of the Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering or Chemistry Departments.
Prizes will include a modest monetary award and certificates. The winning entries will be displayed for one year in the VizLab of the School, join the Gallery of Winning Images on the Contest’s website, and be displayed on the School’s News Screens. For complete list of rules and conditions please see below. A copy of this announcement can be found here.
A new category this year is "Cover Art". Eligible entries for this category are accepted cover art images by SCS groups and affiliates. This category allows for images that have been professionally produced or modified. Images will be selected for display in the School of Chemical Sciences, however no monetary awards are given.
2019 SCS Science Image Challenge Guidelines and Rules
(A version for printing can be found here)
(Adopted from the NSF/Science magazine International Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge
Computer-assisted or traditional scientific image reflecting object, process or techniques designed to inform, educate and inspire.
Students (graduate and undergraduate), postdoctoral associates/fellows, and staff members (excluding Faculty members) of the School of Chemical Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (The entrant’s Principal Investigator must be a faculty member or an affiliate/adjunct of the Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering or the Chemistry Departments)
1. Image: electronic PC/Mac compatible uncompressed form ready for printing (use Image Guidelines of a leading journal in your scientific area)
2. Accompanying text: describing science of the image and the process of image production (less than 50 words)
3. Suggested credit: Name, Lab and Department
Limit: 2 (two) submissions per entrant (not including "Cover Art" submissions)
Submit to: ImageChallenge@scs.illinois.edu
Deadline: Noon on Friday, November 8th, 2019
Judging criteria: visual impact, effective communication and originality
Judges: scientists, faculty, staff of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Prizes: Grand Prize $150 and four $75 prizes and certificates. The winning entries will be displayed for one year in the VizLab of the School, join the Gallery of Winning Images on the Contest’s website and will be prominently displayed in the School of Chemical Sciences. Selected "Cover Art" images will be displayed in the School of Chemical Sciences, with no monetary award.
- Contest entry constitutes agreement to adhere to the rules and stipulations set forth by the contest sponsors
- Any entrant or entry found to be in violation of any rule will be disqualified.
- Each entrant certifies, through submission to the contest, that the entry is an original work created by her or him and does not violate or infringe the creative work of others, as protected under copyright law.
- By entering the contest, the entrant agrees to hold harmless the School of Chemical Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, for all legal and administrative claims, to include associated expenses that may arise from any claims related to his or her submission or its use.
- Entrants retain all copyright and equivalent rights but give the School of Chemical Sciences nonexclusive rights to use their names, likenesses, quotes and submissions for educational publicity and/or promotional purposes. This includes but is not limited to, website display, print materials and exhibits.
- The School of Chemical Sciences reserve the right to use semifinalist and finalist winners names and entries for educational publicity and/or promotional purposes, including website or exhibition of winning entries. It is understood that entries will be shared with reporters covering these awards and for promotion of the competition itself.
- The School of Chemical Sciences will not be responsible for any claims or complaints from third parties should these visualizations be published or exhibited.
- The School of Chemical Sciences have the final say on any point not outlined in the entry rules.
- The School of Chemical Sciences will not respond to any claims or inquiries regarding the contest results.
- Information requested on the entry form will be used to determine how and if the competition is meeting its goals, purposes and audience. Submission of this information is also necessary to contact entrants. Failure to provide this information can affect chances of winning.
- If an insufficient number of qualified entries are received, the sponsoring organizations reserve the right to modify or cancel the competition prior to announcing winners.
- All contestants agree that they, their heirs and estates shall hold harmless the School of Chemical Sciences for any and all injuries and/or claims arising from participation in this contest, to include that which may occur while traveling to or participating in contest activities.